Position: Design Research Lead
Location: Palo Alto
Job Description & Qualifications
Our client in the innovation space is searching for a strong Lead Design Researcher to join their team. You will guide the team through a journey of human-centered research to uncover insights that contribute to all phases of the design process. As well as champion the voice of the user and leverage inspiration to discover hidden opportunities.
As a Design Research Lead you will…
- Lead interdisciplinary teams through the design process, where collaboration is imperative.
- Design and plan research, including recruiting users, experts, analogous companies and services.
- Experiment with different tools and methods.
- Comfortable with methods such as observation, analogous research, concept evaluation and participatory design.
- Design inspirational research experiences for your project team.
- Synthesize research findings and unearth systems-level patterns and frameworks.
- Partner with other disciplines to develop visual aids for research, e.g. flashcards, storyboards.
- Create research stimuli to support understanding user needs and test assumptions.
- Facilitate research events such as co-creation workshops.
- Conduct external benchmarking to inform the design research plan.
- Develop personas, user profiles, design principles and creative storytelling tools.
- Make research findings relevant and impactful for design through a variety of formats such as decks, videos, experiences and exhibits.
- Test concepts and prototypes, and iterate the design based on user feedback.
- Provide direction and vision around research approach and deliverables.
- Balance team autonomy and guidance.
- Help ensure critiques and key check-ins are scheduled and well organized.
- Manage research budget, including participant compensation.
- Communicate research to internal stakeholders and external partners.
- Support development of the Design Research practice.
- Bachelor’s degree in social, behavioral or cognitive sciences, such as Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology; or other research oriented disciplines of Humanities, Cultural studies, Political Science, Business, or Design
- 7+ years’ of qualitative research and consultant experience combined or 7+ years’ qualitative research experience culminating in a sound ability to lead a team, scope a research process, lead fieldwork and conduct interviews and user feedback sessions with working prototypes.
- 2+ years’ experience leading highly collaborative teams in human-centered design.
- Master’s degree or PhD in social, behavioral or cognitive sciences, such as Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Humanities, Cultural studies, Political Science, or Design.
- 10+ years’ qualitative research experience culminating in a sound ability to lead a team, scope a research process, lead fieldwork and conduct interviews and user feedback sessions with working prototypes
- Experience of using design thinking principles or methods in a formal, in-person setting.
- Experience of working with engineering and design teams.
- Passionate about automotive and transportation industry.
- Experience of designing and/or facilitating group collaboration workshops.
Synergis Creative (creative.synergishr.com) is a specialized division of Synergis (synergishr.com) that serves the needs of leading creative firms, departments and agencies. Synergis Creative carefully matches creative and marketing talent to a full-time, contract or project positions.
Synergis Creative's recruiters have been a driving force of the creative and marketing space for over six years. We draw from a wealth of experience with technology staffing, industry best practices and exceptional connections to match candidates with incredible opportunities. Synergis is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed